4. He returned to Ireland in 433 where he is reported to have used the shamrock to preach about the Holy Trinity.
5. He is not the only patron saint of Ireland: St Brigid of Kildare and St Columba share that honour too.
6. Although he is praised for the miracle of driving snakes out of Ireland, fossil evidence suggests that there never were any snakes in Ireland.
7. Although St Patrick’s Day is associated with the color green, St Patrick himself preferred blue.
8. From 1903-1970, St Patrick’s Day was classed as a religious holiday in Ireland and pubs were shut.
9. St Patrick is said to have died on March 17, 461 but the evidence for this is very slim.
10. March 17 is a holiday in Montserrat which was founded by Irish immigrants in the 17th century.